Sunday, March 27, 2011

Heathen for a Day


Today we are being what my mother would call heathens.  We skipped church, slept in, held our baby, ate fast food and didn't take showers until one.  It was what we needed as a family.  This past week has been anything but fun.  It is our own fault.  We broke the never hold a sleeping baby rule on day 1 and have never looked back...UNTIL last week.  Our sweet little boy loves his crib at night and is such a good sleeper all night long but in the day time, the crib is his torture chamber.  He hates it, refuses to nap in it and lets you know just how much he hates it for hours after the incident.  By the books, he should have adjusted to nap in his crib in 4 days or less.  Books, books,books....Seven days later he is still not adjusting to nap in his crib.  Who knew that I would already have to choose a parenting style?  It all seems too soon and sudden and I am not prepared.  I know this is only the beginning of choosing what is best for my son.  I know that everyone and their dog has an opinion about sleep habits and styles.  I know that books will always promise me solutions.  I trust that the Lord will give us guidance in doing what is best.  I pray that Cooper will always feel loved no matter where he naps.  And I feel so much better now that I got that out.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took a morning for your family :) I can tell you that you are NOT alone and that holding that sleeping baby is well worth it. Turner is almost 8 months and while he WILL take naps in his crib sometimes I will hold him for 2 hours on the couch while he sleeps because, well, he is my baby and I want to! Read the books...take advice...but I think that you are right on when you said " I trust that the Lord will give us guidance in doing what is best." I know He will and that you and Bobby are fantastic parents! I can't wait to get my hands on that little angel....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN!!! And by the way, I, too, broke the rules early on, and to this day, LOOOOVE holding my sleeping baby girl! I know I'm going to pay for this dearly, but . . . it's just soooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a mom, but I believe the best book to raise your children by is the Bible. And I haven't read that you can't hold a sleeping baby ... so , I don't think you will do permanent damage! Hold away! You and Bobby are amazing ... scratch that ... awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails