Monday, November 2, 2009

Magnificent Obsession

We sang Magnificent Obsession by Steven Curtis Chapman at church this Sunday and the words moved, inspired, rooted and grounded me in my purpose in this life.  At times, I find myself focusing on the career I used to have that maybe I secretly wish I had back.  I wonder what level of management I would be by now had I stayed and how much I could have been making.  Of course, the past is most always seen through rose colored glasses.  I forget the 60+ hour work weeks I endured and the countless times with friends and family I had to miss.  Isn't it funny how we just keep repeating that foolish longing to be a success by the standard of this world?

I find myself searching for purpose almost on a daily basis.  I look at other people in the world that are making huge impacts for the greater good.  I forget that God calls us all to walk in His perfect will.  He has a different plan and purpose for each and every one of us.  All He wants me to do is listen and trust in Him.  I was reminded that my focus should be on Christ, daily and in every moment.  My focus is to love others, be kind to my husband, conduct my affairs with justice, give freely all that I have been blessed with and be open to His next step for me.  

Magnificent Obsession  

Lord, You know how much
I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life's complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling like I'm chasing down the wind

But now it's brought me back to You
And I can see again
This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

So capture my heart again
Take me to depths I've never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You've shown me
Cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground
Until this one remains

You are everything I want
And You are everything I need
Lord, You are all my heart desires
You are everything to me

1 comment:

  1. so there's this hill by my house that i run about twice a week - it's a 5 minute hill, it seems super daunting and it's steep. but everytime i run it, i select "magnificent obsession" on my ipod. it is THE PERFECT pace, lyrics and meaning i need to get me up the hill. so about twice a week, i depend on this song. what a sweet reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails